Saturday, December 29, 2007

sweet & sour meatballs

Another great slow cooker recipe! this one is good over rice or potatoes and smells yummy cooking. It's healthy too with the ground turkey! Give it a try!

Sweet & Sour Meatballs
2 pounds ground turkey breast
2 teaspoons salt-free garlic and herb seasoning or poultry seasoning
1 egg white
Salt and ground black pepper
2 (15-ounce) cans tomato sauce
2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 cup chili sauce
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons dried thyme

In a large bowl, combine turkey, garlic and herb seasoning, egg white and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and black pepper. Mix well and shape mixture into about 32 meatballs. Place meatballs in bottom of slow cooker.

In a medium bowl, whisk together tomato sauce, broth, chili sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, and thyme. Pour mixture over meatballs.

Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours. Season, to taste, with salt and black pepper.



post signature

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I'm still awaiting more of these wonderful recipes! I hope to see more soon. Good luck to you and your business.
Rachel

Unknown said...

Just the recipe I need for today. I also am a fan of turkey meat, especially free-range turkey--if you can find it.

Thanks for posting this, Annie.

Rachel said...

That is an awesome background, despite the fact that you dashed my hopes of your talent being to good as to sell it......lol!!!!!
I love cooking new foods, but my sister is more of a gourmet cook, I'm more of a , well, um....a "how-good-can-you-make-it-with-what-you-have" type of cook. I love all american or americanized recipes. I hate onions and coconut! I have a great Arabic (my brother-in-law is arabic)meal that is very easy and wow's company if your interested.
Rach

Rachel said...

Cauliflower Chicken

Chicken (I use bloneless , skinless)
1 Cauliflower
All spice
2 cups Rice
Salt
1 tsp. Nutmeg
one half tsp. Tumeric
one half tsp. cinnamon
cloves to taste
*season liquid more than needed because it will disperse to other ingredients and will dilute as it cooks*
Boil chicken with nutmeg-debone
reserve liquid
Deep fry Cauliflower till golden brown (set aside)
In saucepan add chicken, rice, and Cauliflower to 4 cups of reserved chicken broth. Add spices till a little stronger flavor than you want bring to boil and cook the way you do rice. Once boiling turn to simmer then cook covered without peeking until tender. about 30 min.
*a wider pan with deep sides is best so that the rice will cook even*
Good luck. I hope you understand these instructions ;-)
Rach